This lesson supports children and young people in safely and actively planning independent journeys.
It can show children and young people some great routes in their area. It’s surprising how often people don’t know about their cycle routes and traffic-free paths!
The transition from primary to secondary school is a critical time in setting travel habits. Journey planning or transition mapping allows pupils to :
- Review and consider the best route and equipment for a given journey
- Be involved in risk evaluation and decision making
- Improve knowledge of local routes
- Remove barriers and solve problems
- Develop journey planning skills to complement practical biking skills
How can pupils help?
Pupils can help by doing some research into local routes – showing other people quieter routes can be really helpful!
The download opposite has the lesson plan to help you prepare for this session.